We can each care for a maximum of six children under the age of 8 years old, no more than three of which may be in the early years age range with no more than one child being under 1 year old.
A maximum of just nine children under five, with three staff, enables us to provide individual attention for children of different ages. Our older children have access to the lounge for quieter, after school activities.
We have free-flow access to the garden and we go outside in all kinds of weathers. Our garden is secure and offers many of the practical life activites e.g. sweeping, hammering, watering plants etc and we have a greenhouse where we are growing our own fruit and vegetables.
Our outings have been many and varied. We frequently take the children on local trips to farms, gardens, country parks, canals and woodlands.
To do this we:
- obtain information about the child's likes and dislikes, any allergies or special dietary requirements.
- promote food hygiene e.g. hand washing and encourage the children to talk to us about their food likes and dislikes.
- involve children in the preparation of meals so they can learn about healthy food.
- have regard for the Voluntary Food and Drink Guidelines for Early Years Settings and the information from the Caroline Walker Trust and use the guidance to plan menus for the setting.
- ensure children have access to fresh drinking water at all times.
- promote meal times as a social event encouraging children to sit at the table, use good manners, a knife and fork and ask older children to be role models for younger children.
- encourage children to make choices for themselves by providing a variety of options for snacks that children are able to select for themselves.
- fully support mothers who want to continue breastfeeding and are happy to accept breast milk in bottles. All milk must be supplied for babies under 1 year of age.
- display menus in a folder and provide parents with meal ideas.
All our meals are cooked on the premises by Tania and we provide childrens' favourites, together with an appetising choice of new meals and flavours for the children to try. Feedback on the menu is always welcome.
Click here to see a sample menu.